Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!

The other day I made the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made, even my kids agreed, and that says it all!



DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, use the Toll House recipe on the back of the bag.  For years I did that and and was always disappointed in the outcome.





I have searched and tried many recipes the past few years and I finally found it.  
Tried and true recipe!


new york times chocolate chip cookies

Yield:  20 medium size cookies
Prep Time: 15 min + chill time
Cook Time: 15-18 min

Ingredients:

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons  cake flour
1 2/3 cups  bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (like sea salt)
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks)
1 1/4 cups  packed light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons  granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 20oz Bag chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

Directions:

1. Sift together the dry ingredients (flour through salt). I just scraped mine through a fine strainer/sieve since my sifter isn't all that great. Set aside.
2. Use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugars- mixing until the mixture is very light, about 5 minutes. Mix in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla. Reduce the speed to low, add the dry ingredients and, mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Place the dough in an airtight container and refrigerate a minimum of 24 to 36 hours before baking (and up to 72 hours).
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
4. I used a cookie scoop and had an overflowing scoop, about 3-4" cookies onto a baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart. Don't try to fit more on the sheet or you'll end up with cookies baking into each other. 
5. Bake until the edges are golden brown and the center is lighter and soft, 18 to 20 minutes (oven times vary). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a rack and let them cool completely. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.


The secret to these cookies is the make the dough 48 hours in advance, cover it and let it sit in the fridge.  On the day of baking, let it sit for an hour or so and then start baking.

Another tip I have is use parchment paper or baking mat.  The pan varies, I used a Pampered Chef baking stone on some batches and regular aluminum pans on some.  The stone may need a couple of more baking minutes, but keep a careful watch you don't want these overcooked.  

I made these medium-size,  I used a cookie scoop about 3-4" inch cookies.  Baking time varied from 15-18 minutes, every oven is different, so keep that in mind.  

Also let these cool on the baking sheet at least a good 10 minutes before moving them to cooking rack to cool.  


No comments:

Post a Comment